Sunday, October 07, 2007

Decoration, Or, How to Get Students to Stare at the Ceiling in Silence for Forty Minutes.

I'm sitting in my now clean office (with my bonsai), looking out into the classroom. I've just reconstructed the paper lanterns that Phil and I had in our dorm room and hung them up for my Algebra II students to enjoy. It looks pretty sweet I must admit. Since there are five tables, and I have five lanterns, each table has a lantern directly above it. Two dark green and white, one light blue and gray, one lime green, and one yellow and light blue (the last one looks like a nursery accessory).

I think I may have the students recreate the laterns, only in a larger or smaller size. It would be very interesting to use proportions to create the perfect piece for a 36" or 3" diameter lantern.

Now to grading I go. Hurray (can you sense my excitement?).

10 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

hey, I'm going to comment again since this post was looking lonely....I LOVE your room decor and bonsai. Also, can you help me string mine up in my office? Thanks!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Gerrans said...

Pictures, maybe? Please? :)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Johonn, what are you talking about? a word is worth a thousand pictures, right?

5:21 AM  
Blogger phil said...

I love lamp. Or lamps, in this case. I was fully hoping to find the same lamps here, somewhere in the market. Alas, that is not the case; there are only bootleg DVDs and assorted knick-knacks made from coconut shells.

Right.

Drop me a line sometime about the teaching life.

Peas.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Barry Howe said...

Produce another post, lazy bum.

(Feel the love)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Hey pal,
good to see the blog back in a modicum of service. Keep it breathing....
AHHH can't WAIT for thanksgiving!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Gerrans said...

So how is the teaching going?
Based on your recent blog activity, or lack thereof (hint hint) I'm going to assume it is keeping you busy! :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger TaraB said...

Alban Hooowe! Those lamps sound fun...grading, however, not so fun. Are you coming back to camp my friend? I hope the answer to that is yesss...I haven't had a good fight with anyone in a long awhile, I think it's about time:)

11:48 PM  
Blogger Barry Howe said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Trina Yeo said...

you're pretty much the worst blogger ever.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home