Friday, February 02, 2007

Kauai 1






It's Friday morning, and everyone is still asleep except for Alan and I. I'm sitting in the middle of a large room. I would guess that the ceiling is about 16 feet tall, and measures almost 15 large paces in both directions. The decorations are mostly pastel, and there is a large, low, spinning and rolling purple chair. In the corner is are own personal aviary, and inside there are 3 medium size trees and other plants. The view out the window is of a lush lawn, rushing river, and thick green foliage.

We arrived on Oahu Wednesday at 11PM, spent the night on some luggage carts, and left for Kauai at 5AM. Yesterday we collected our rental car (a large Jeep SUV), drove around finding different things to eat, enjoyed the scenery, and tryed to stay out of the rain. To some of us, especially Cody and I, Hawaii is a strange mix. It feels like a mission trip, but there are nice cars everywhere, and we are staying in an awesome room, relaxing and generally doing as we please.

By this time, Tommy and Cody have roused themselves, and only Phil remains subject to his pilow. I look through the gigantic skylight and notice blue sky, with some skattered clouds. Looks like today's weather will be slightly more upbeat than yesterday's. We have no plans, but this day could hold surfing, hiking, kayaking, macadamia-nut roasting, or whatever other island activity we can think up.

My feelings are summed up in William Clark's famous quote, "Ocean in view! Oh! The Joy!"

6 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Gerrans said...

you punk, what are you doing in Oahu?? did you take your unicycle? I have yet to acquire one of those for myself...

3:54 PM  
Blogger Ansley said...

Hey--I'm going to try and call you Sunday night my time--what time is that in Hawaii? Prepare to be awakened, we need to plan! Also, a little bird told me you took a girl to a ballet! Can't wait to hear all about it. Love you. Safe travels.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Alban said...

johonn: The real question is, what are you and everyone else doing NOT in Kauai? NO, I didn't bring my Unicycle, but I brought m juggling balls.

ansley: Our time is two hours earlier than PST. I'll charge my phone and keep it with me, but there's no garantee that it will have service. Planning sounds good. I can't wait for our trip. Later,

Alban

8:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

Hey Alban! I just got back from an absolutely wonderful, but absolutely FREEZING weekend at the farm! With the wind chill, it was probably around 20 below at some points. Ted and I were thinking of you chillin' on the beach. Oh the joy, is right! :) Hey, it sounds like you're having a fantastic time. Very cool. :) What's this about the ballet...?

10:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Che Alban!

Que capa que sos! Me gusta las descripciones vívidas. Espero que te pasara bien el fin de semana en la isla. :)
Hmmm...ballet? Así empieza los rumores fantásticos. Pero suena "first class." ;)
He escuchado más buenas cosas de Mivoden por el fin de semana de Dustin y otra gente. A ver.
Ahora yo voy a una fiesta en la casa de Esteban para mirar el "Superbowl." Que te vaya bien.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

the real question is, why isn't the girl Hawaii?

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home